Who are you and when did you start working here?
My name is Nick DeBoer and I started working at Passageways in the Autumn of 2014.
What do you do here?
I am the Senior Copywriter and Content Manager here at Passageways.
What is a typical workday like?
There is not a typical workday. It depends on the week in the day, week, month, quarter – it’s constantly changing. If you see it on the internet I was involved in some way. From our overall messaging to our whitepapers, blog posts, website, I am either directly involved or supervised its creation. It’s my job to clearly communicate with our audience in a way that cuts through the noise – ultimately we want to help people do their best work and the only way we can do that is to be clear in our visual and written communication.
What is your fondest memory of working at Passageways?
I really enjoyed PowWow in Chicago in 2016. It’s always a deep joy to see everyone in the Passageways family, but Chicago was a different level. That was a PowWOW where we rented a boat on Lake Michigan and got a really awesome view of the city at night.
What is your favorite part of working here?
The fact that there is not a typical work day, things are constantly evolving! Not only does my work allow me to be creative, but it also gives a chance to shape how everyone talks about our products and brand. That means my role touches on every department and role at Passageways. That means I work directly with engineering, design, customer success, sales, tech support – everyone. And that gives me a really interesting perspective.
What’s is the craziest or silliest thing to ever happen at work or a work event?
One afternoon the power flicked out and the tornado sirens went off. I find storms very cool and went seeking a better vantage point. Unfortunately – or perhaps, fortunately – there was nothing to see other than substantial rain and the loud crack of thunder. This happened a second-time years later and I was told I had to go to the basement, which I find boring but honestly probably the right call.
What makes Passageways unique compared to previous jobs you have worked?
I’ve been asked this frequently and I turn back to a previous job I had in a research park: Passageways is diametrically opposite. I still don’t understand it, but we had to wear slacks and a tie to work to sit at a computer all day – and it was always cryptically quiet. Not only do we have fun here, create awesome products here, engage in a constant dialogue with our customers here, but there’s also the sense that everyone here cares deeply about their work. It’s night and day compared to the stuffy minutiae of a research park setting. We are vibrant and full of life.
About The Author
- Passageways is a SaaS provider of collaboration solutions for boards and employees. OnBoard is a board governance solution, designed to improve collaboration for directors and administrators throughout the meeting life cycle. OnSemble's a lovable, drag and drop, Employee Intranet that connects an entire workplace to one central collaboration hub, builds your culture, and inspires employee engagement.
- Employee Intranet2019.05.15Why Employee Engagement Soared When Generations FCU Reimagined Their Intranet
- Board Portal2019.05.02Passageways Honored To Win Five Stevie® Awards at 2019 American Business Awards
- Board Portal2019.04.23An 80-Year-Old Director Finds Delight in OnBoard’s Simplicity.
- Employee Intranet2019.04.23The Merger: How OnSemble Unified Two Credit Unions