Every Passageways Employee is a Pathfinder
By definition, a Pathfinder is “one that discovers a way; especially one that explores untraversed regions to mark out a new route.” At Passageways, every employee is called a Pathfinder. In this content series, we take time to explore to find what drives and motivates our fellow colleagues.
About Warren McComb
Warren McComb is a Customer Support Manager at Passageways. Prior to joining the company in April 2018, Warren worked for 6 years at Purdue University, where he held a position as the Director of Networking and Telecommunications for 3 years, and as a Vice President at Deutsche Bank in IT for 17 years. In addition to his strong technical qualifications, Warren brings strong experience and expertise in IT security, strategic planning, and personnel management. He holds a B.S. in Computer Technology (CPT) from Purdue University. Before going to college, Warren was in the Army National Guard and served for 6 years making it to the rank of Sergeant.
1. In your own words, what do you do?
I manage the technical support team and provide direct technical support for all OnBoard and OnSemble customers. I run the Internal IT team (including Shane and Jovanni) to provide technical support and purchase all hardware and software for all Pathfinders in the US and help in the UK. I run the security team, where Ross and I work on cybersecurity, fill out security questionnaires, meet with customer security experts, and define security IT policies and procedures. From internet access to phone support, I work on it all. Currently, my main focus is working on cybersecurity for Passageways; the SOC and ISO audit, phishing security, and training are all on my mind.
2. What is a typical workday like?
It depends on what is broken at the moment. If nothing is broken around IT or security, I am attending meetings and working on improving the IT or security for the company.
3. What is your fondest memory of working at Passageways?
My team. I really enjoy working with them.
4. What is the craziest or silliest thing to ever happen at work or a work event?
The first “Slay” day I ever attended.
5. Complete this sentence: “Passageways is ______ because ______.”
Passageways is energetic, because we are always moving and growing.
6. Complete this sentence: “Passageways customers are ______ because ______.”
Passageways customers are loyal, because there are many who have been with us for years.
7. What’s the biggest misconception people have about your position?
There are two:
- I can fix everything immediately on a computer or security issue.
- They are the only person that is having trouble right at that moment.
8. What do you like to do when you’re not at work?
I have several 3D printers and I like to make new things with them. I also enjoy a good glass of bourbon.
9. With thanks to James Lipton and “Inside the Actor’s Studio,” what’s your favorite word?
Bourbon. Of course, “double on the rocks” normally follows that.
10. Who or what did you have posters of on your bedroom wall as a teenager?
11. What was your first job?
I was a paperboy.
12. If you could snap your fingers and become an expert in something, what would it be?
3D design using AutoCAD.
13. What piece of art – book, movie, music, artwork, etc. – inspired you the most and why?
There are a few:
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, a poem by Dylan Thomas. I lost my father when I was a teenager, and this reminds me of him. It also helps remind me that you should not give up in a difficult situation, and [you should] fight for what is important to you.
- The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Those books got me into reading.
14. What’s the best piece of advice you have ever been given?
Don’t take life too seriously. You don’t need to work yourself to death. Slow down and enjoy life. There are measures for success other than how much money you make.
15. If you could know the absolute and total truth to one question, what question would you ask?
What is next after this life?
Now, for the $10 million bonus question: if a donor came to you today with $10 million to use with no conditions or restrictions, what would your first priority be?
A road trip in a brand new RV to look for a warm place to live all year round.
Warren McComb is a Customer Support Manager at Passageways. Prior to joining the company in April 2018, Warren worked for 6 years at Purdue University, where he held a position as the Director of Networking and Telecommunications for 3 years, and as a Vice President at Deutsche Bank in IT for 17 years. In addition to his strong technical qualifications, Warren brings strong experience and expertise in IT security, strategic planning, and personnel management. He holds a B.S. in Computer Technology (CPT) from Purdue University.
Before going to college, Warren was in the Army National Guard. He served for 6 years, making it to the rank of Sergeant.
About The Author
- Passageways is a SaaS provider of collaboration solutions for boards and employees. OnBoard is a board governance solution, designed to improve collaboration for directors and administrators throughout the meeting life cycle. OnSemble's a lovable, drag and drop, Employee Intranet that connects an entire workplace to one central collaboration hub, builds your culture, and inspires employee engagement.
- News2021.01.25Passageways Celebrates Rapid Growth in 2020 and Sets Sights on Accelerated Expansion for Board Management Platform (OnBoard) in 2021
- Board Management2021.01.11Another Helpful, Free Tool from Passageways: the Vendor Comparison Worksheet
- Board Management2021.01.08Everything You Need To Know About Meeting Minutes
- Board Management2021.01.04New OnBoard Capabilities Help Enterprise Boards and Leaders Identify Conflicts of Interest and Complete Required Regulatory Filings